If the link between the BDS movement and its supporters and anti-Semitism was not already strong enough then the evidence of the goings on at University of California (UC) is a further nail in its coffin.
This is particularly true for many Jewish students who are struggling with an escalation of hateful anti-Semitic acts at UC. This past fall, swastikas and “F— Jews” were carved into multiple cars, and a female Jewish student was followed and harassed by a male member of the campus group Students for Justice in Palestine.
Last year, swastikas were spray-painted on a Jewish fraternity, and “grout out the Jews” defaced the Hillel House at UC Davis; “Zionists should be sent to the gas chamber” was scrawled at UC Berkeley; flyers blaming Jews for 9/11 were posted at UC Santa Barbara, and a candidate for the UCLA student judicial board was challenged that her Jewishness rendered her ineligible.
Frighteningly, these are not isolated incidents. A survey conducted recently of 229 Jewish students on UC’s 10 campuses revealed 70 percent of the respondents had experienced anti-Semitism. The respondents said hostile actions are directly linked to virulently anti-Israel Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) campaigns. As some describe:
- I’m in a Jewish interest sorority and during divestment we’re encouraged not to wear [our sorority] letters.
- During BDS I actually avoid Hillel, the quad, and even my sorority because I just really don’t want to have to deal with how unsafe campus feels.
- Anytime a BDS activity occurs on campus, the amount of swastikas found in libraries has gone up.
- When our divestment motion passed, two days later there were swastikas on our AEPi house. I actually didn’t feel safe wearing my star or my [fraternity] letters.
- As a result of BDS] I don’t feel comfortable showing my faith anymore.The reality on UC campuses today is that almost every anti-Semitic act can be directly linked to BDS. And every BDS campaign has resulted in Jewish students reporting feeling threatened, harassed, bullied and unsafe.
So, there we have it. There is no longer any hiding away from the blatant facts about BDS and it’s supporters really believe in and the effects it is having on Jews of all sections of society.